Changing the World One Child at a Time
Agape for Youth, Inc has a twenty-seven-year history of providing quality services to children and families in southwest Ohio. Our first certified foster family with the agency continues to provide care for children in foster care. Agape for Youth, Inc. will provide you with personal and individual services within a family environment that will help to answer your questions and reduce any anxiety you may have about becoming a foster parent. Our goal at Agape for Youth, Inc. is to provide clear and honest communication about the requirements and to help you reach your goal of including children into your life.
When you choose to work with Agape a social worker will help you with each step in the process. Information shared with Agape is kept in strict confidence. Agape for Youth, Inc. and potential foster parents work as a team to determine your goals and abilities. Once you are certified for foster care, we will call you about children who have been referred to us for foster placement. Our goal is for children to experience the fewest placement moves possible. As foster parents, you make the final decision about the age, sex, number, and need level of the children who will be placed in your home.
After children are placed, an Agape social worker will visit you and the children in your home several times a month to provide case management services. Agape for Youth also provides 24-hour day availability through our on-call social worker.
Requirements of the Applicants
- A caring spirit, with a desire to help children who have been the victims of abuse and neglect.
- The ability to work as a member of a team serving the needs of a child. The belief that people can learn, grow and change.
- At least one applicant in the home must be able to read, write and speak English or be able to effectively communicate with any child placed in their home and with the recommending agency.
- May be single or legally married.
- Must show the household has an income sufficient to meet the basic needs of the household.
- Must be free of any physical, emotional, or mental condition, which would endanger a child or seriously impair the ability of the foster caregiver or applicant to care for a foster child.
- Must have a medical statement on all household members.
- Must obtain an approved fire inspection.
- Must complete all preplacement and continuing training.
Is there a cost to become a foster parent?
- There is no cost for the work completed by Agape for Youth, Inc. for individuals and/or couples to become certified foster parents.
- There are some fees associated with the documentation required by the process, such as a fee for a fire inspection and the fees to obtain medical statements.
- Once a foster child is placed in your home, monies are provided to assist with the care of the child.
What are the general steps to become a foster parent?
- Contact Agape through this website, e-mail or by phone
- Attend an Orientation to Foster Care & Adoption meeting to learn more about Agape. These meeting are typically held on the first Tuesday of each month from 6:30pm-8:30pm. Please contact the Agape office to confirm the meeting date at (937) 439-4406 extension 1113.
- Begin attending the 36 hours of education courses required for the licensing process.
- Complete an application to care for children.
- Submit paperwork for the homestudy and licensing process (such as a medical statement, background check, fire inspection)
- Meet with a social worker for an interview(s) so that the agency can become better acquainted with your family to determine the type of child(ren) you are interested in parenting.
We invited you to visit our “Additional Information About Foster Care” page and/or fill out the form below to receive a no obligation inquiry packet.
Agape for Youth, Inc. values your privacy. Agape for Youth, Inc. does not share addresses, e-mail addresses or other personal information provided by donors, contributors, community newsletter recipients, or sponsors. Personal information is not shared with other organizations or individuals. If you choose to be recognized for your financial or material contributions to Agape for Youth, Inc. your name will be listed in our annual report that is printed for distribution and is posted on our website. As a contributor/donor you always have the option of choosing to have your donation/contribution remaining anonymous. To do so, please contact the Agape for Youth, Inc. office.